8.19.2015

Canadiology 5A

Episode 5: Religumatics

ACT ONE

EXT.ESTAB. SUBURBS, EVAN’S HOUSE - DAY

INT. EVAN’S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME

EVAN, JAY, on the couch, JULIE, on the single seat, LEN, on the floor, all sit around with school books, doing homework.

LEN
So, multiples of 4 with exponential additions of 1. What are they?

JAY
Again with that! You know, this isn’t Grade 6. Though, I do miss the nap times.

JULIE
Jay, Grade 6 wasn’t Kindergarten.

JAY
Some traditions are worth keeping!

LEN
(looking around)
 This is weird. Why are we working here in a non-cafeteria? 

EVAN
You guys were nice enough to accept me into your smart group, so I wanted to make it up by opening my home to you. Pâté, anyone?

He holds out a tray with globs of brown chunks, neatly dispersed across it. 

EVAN
It’s peanut butter. I don’t know what pâté is.

JAY
I have Physics class in 10 minutes. You live 45 minutes away from the school.

Len takes a sample of the peanut butter globs and enjoys it.

EVAN
(absent-minded)
 Ah, yes. Evan treats his friends gooder from ovvers.

JULIE
Ugh. Your English, dude; we need to work on that.

Just then, SAMANTHA, Evan’s mother, enters through the front door, in fluster, carrying bags of groceries. 

SAMANTHA
Dammit. It’s that annoying Mrs. Jennings; always trying to offer me free zumba classes. What’s with people and zumba classes? If I wanted to be sweaty in a room full of strangers, I’d work out of an Italian Bakery.

EVAN
Dude, mom, watch the subject matter-- Classmates, here. 

SAMANTHA
Oh, hi Evan’s friends. You get where I’m coming from, don’t you? The sweats are just the worst. 

EVAN
Ugggh. Never mind. Why can’t you just get along with the neighbours?

SAMANTHA
I just can’t, sweetie. The thought of interacting with the same people in a pseudo-random basis goes all against the nature of spontaneity. And I just can’t have that. 

JAY
Here, here, Mrs. B!
 (whisper to Evan)
Dude, your mom is hot. Too bad I’m not as well-endowed as Len, here is, for example.

Fourth wall break: Len turns to the CAMERA with a smile and a thumbs-up.

CHOIR (V.O.)
Asian guys! They can have big @#$%’s too!

Back to scene:

SAMANTHA
Oh, damn. I forgot the bagged milk. How is it I always forget that? The bags are see through, and you can actually see the milk.

She leaves out through the front door. The group gets back to homework, but here’s a woman’s scream and a crash come from outside.


EXT. BERTRAM HOUSE - FRONT DRIVEWAY

Samantha has backed her car right into the neighbourhood multi-mailbox (next to their driveway) in an attempt to avoid hitting MRS. LESLIE, 80s, old, grey. The back left tire has been knocked out, rendering her car useless.

Samantha pops her head out of her window.

SAMANTHA
Oh, Mrs. Leslie, it’s just that I was in such a flustered rush. I’m sorry. I didn’t see you!

MRS. LESLIE
Dear, me!
(beat)
Oh, Sweetie, accidents do happen. It is I who is sorry. I’m sorry, Samantha. 

Another neighbour, MR. DENNINGS, 70s, grey hair, approaches.

MR. DENNINGS
By Canada’s red faced, multi-patterned, almighty king, Don Cherry! An accident! Oh, Samantha, I feel so bad about your car!

Another neighbour, MR. JELLICO, 50s, walking his dog, stops.

MR. JELLICO
Are you alright, Samantha? If not, please accept my condolences!

SAMANTHA
(to self)
Ugh. Dammit. More neighbours.
 (to Jellico)
No, it’s okay, Mr. Jellico, no need to comfort me!

MR. JELLICO
Oh my. Sorry about that!

MRS. LESLIE
Do you need an ambulance, dearie? I should’ve offered earlier. My apologies.

Samantha gets out of her car.

SAMANTHA
No, I’m fine, like I said earlier. No need to apologize.

MRS. LESLIE
It’s just that there are procedures in situations like these. I’m sorry that there are. Procedures, that is.

MR. DENNINGS
Yeah, your health is what’s important here. I’m sorry if you feel otherwise.

Just then, another neighbour, KIRK, 30s, jogging, stops but keeps jogging in place. 

KIRK
Oh, Samantha! You look to be in a precarious situation. I’m feel horrible that you’re in one. Truly, deeply am I sorry.

SAMANTHA
No. No more neighbours, please! I’m fine. I’m just going to go inside where there are none of you. It’s my safe haven! 

She walks away, back to her house, more frustrated at her neighbours than anything.

MRS. PENNYWORTH
(to Dennings)
Oh, dear. Where we overbearing? Please accept my regards.

MR. DENNINGS
(to Pennyworth)
 I’m sorry that you have regards.


INT. BERTRAM HOUSE - LIVING ROOM

Samantha bursts through the front door, flustered, as before.

SAMANTHA
Damn those neighbours! They’re like Merylin Denis to plastic surgery!

EVAN
Did you forget the hazmat suit?

SAMANTHA
It’s in the laundry!
(beat)
Don’t the neighbours know I hate person-to-person interaction.
(gestures to Evan)
 I mean, other than the basics, I barely even want to talk to you.

EVAN
(to the group)
Don’t worry. The feeling’s mutual. We just like to give each other space. Teenagers, right?
(to Samantha)
Alright, mom. You go get cleaned up now and dinner will be ready in a few.

SAMANTHA
I’m not hungry! Not only are those Fun Dip suckers sucking the joy out of being outside, but the over-apologizing is agonizing and just too, too much.

JAY
Actually, Canada is the only place in the world where people are constantly over-apologizing. Samantha’s experiences aren’t that far beyond the norm.

LEN
Yeah, most out-of-country visitors are grateful and pleasantly surprised by our politeness-- Not including the Americans, who liken their violent reactions to our sounds to misophonia.

JULIE
I don’t know, guys. I heard some strange, esoteric things happen here when you apologize too much. Horrible... evil things.

SAMANTHA
Oh, you kids and your kid-talk. Well, I just need a break. I’m going to lie down and watch two hours of Corner Gas. You just can’t go wrong with that.

She goes upstairs. 

NATE, lake serpent, enters through the front door.

NATE
What the hell? You guys got together without me? How rude is that!

EVAN
You said you had a kitchen to renovate?

NATE
Oh that. It turned out to be a homeless guy wanting crack. Not that all homeless guys want crack. Some just want to cuddle and fool around.

The group starts getting up off their seats.

JAY
Well, we’re pretty much done here anyway.
 (to Evan and Nate)
We’re auditioning for jobs with the Calgary Stampede, who are in town, trying to recruit bull and cattle pokers.

EVAN
That seems oddly inhumane for your highly evolved types?

LEN
Hey, students got to eat. --I mean, through making money. Not the cattle.
(beat)
Wait. That’s brilliant!

Julie, Jay and Len leave, out the front door. Once they’re gone, there’s a knock. Evan opens the door and finds SANDRINE, late-30s, buisness-casual, knee-high work-dress, AND MADDOX, late-30s, work-suit. The two hold up their ID’s.

SANDRINE
Hi. We’re Agents Sandrine and Maddox of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service--

MADDOX
The CSIS.

NATE
(scared)
Oh my God. You’ve finally come to kill me and cook my hide!
(beat)
 This is all because I taste amazing!

SANDRINE
No, we’re here because we’re investigating reports of excessive apologizing in this area. And, as CSIS Agents, security is our highest concern.

EVAN
Can I point out how ridiculous it is that someone actually called you about that? And how exactly is that a security threat??

MADDOX
(snaps finger)
You’d better learn to respect authority, kid! The CSIS is the Canadian version MI6-- who are the Canadian versions of the FBI-- who, themselves, are the Canadian versions of the KGB. 

The two walk away, up the driveway, and turn left onto the sidewalk for the next house. At the right-hand corner of his driveway and the sidewalk, Evan notices KIMMY, student, religious, holding a Christian cross necklace, attractive, calmly standing and staring up at the sky in wait of something. The sky has become over-cast and grey.

Kimmy, scared, turns her head and notices Evan. Evan waves and smiles in hopes of making a friend.

EVAN
Hi!

Kimmy ignores and resumes her staring-at of the sky. 

EVAN
Well, that was one-sided.

NATE
Have you seen you? I mean, come on!
(beat)
I kept that generic enough to be a compliment or an insult. It’s up to you. Go nuts.

Suddenly, Mrs. Leslie approaches with a tin can of cookies. 

MRS. LESLIE
Oh, Evan, dear. I’m so sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to offer these apology cookies to your mother, in sincere concession for her almost killing me two weeks before my death due date.

EVAN
If that’s the case, then aren’t you the victim??

MRS. LESLIE
Oh, I’m so, very regretful. Did I do something wrong?

Then, Mr. Jellico approaches, with his dog. 

MR. JELLICO
Well, my little Scruffy, here, almost did his business on your lawn earlier. I just wanted to say sorry for what could have been.

EVAN
Who the hell cares??? Damn you, Canadians!

Unnoticed, the clouds start to swirl, in storm fashion, overhead. Then, Kirk jogs over.

KIRK
Oh, hi, there Evan! I’m sorry; I wanted to say something relevant to you just now, but I completely forgot what it was. Now that’s something to be sorry about. I’m even sorry for being sorry about that! Hah!

The clouds over head begin to swirl even more.

Nate tugs on Evan’s shirt.

NATE
(looks up)
Uh, Evan. I’m not so sure about all this apologizing. 

With Evan’s following speech, the clouds overhead begin to swirl increasingly violently, and shoot out lighting and rack thunder.

EVAN
(worked up)
 No. No, this is exactly what’s going down: I’m sorry that you neighbours don’t seem to pick up on anti-social queues. I’m sorry that you guys can’t seem to leave well enough alone. I’m sorry Tim Hortons has become our national religion! I’m sorry we produce the most embarrassing musicians in the world! I’m sorry Mike Bullard had a TV show once! I’m sorry that you Canadians don’t have a spine! And I’m sorry that you’re ruining our country’s reputation by being overly, over-the-top, over-insanely-kind!!

Suddenly, the storm overhead racks a giant thunder sound, turning everyone’s attention to it. In the sky, over the street in front of Evan’s driveway, a rip in the space-time continuum is torn. The rip, opens up, bordered by powerful lightning currents and cloudy edging; the inside: a cold and barren wasteland. The rip stops opening when one of its ends reaches the road.

Everyone looks on at it in shock.

NATE
Ahhh! No! All your apologizing opened a portal to Hell!

END OF ACT ONE


< BACK            5.1            ACT 2 >