3.09.2012

Adrift (Draft 3)

Story by Patricio Munoz
Screenplay by Lance Goosen


EXT. SPACE - NEBA STATION - DAY

FRANK MARSHALL (32) - An average, intelligent astronaut, father and husband with a typically easy-going personality.

is tethered to an old space station, in suit, repairing a section of the outer hull. 

The voice of

MARK (42) - An engineer at Space Center.

speaks with Frank over the radio.

MARK (O.C.)
This is the Space Centre to NEBA STATION. How’s the air out there?

FRANK
Space Centre, this is Frank Marshall, outside NEBA. The air’s a little thin, but can’t complain about the view.

MARK (O.C.)
NEBA, we’ll be taking over for Mission Control. Seems like they’ve got bigger fish to fry. Copy?

FRANK
Roger that. They always do. The Soyuz craft has been gone for a while. Any idea when I can expect it back?

MARK (O.C.)
NEBA, Soyuz has been decommissioned due to impact from debris. It’s going to take them a few days to assess.

FRANK
Copy that, S.C. Luckily I can board this glorified washing machine. --I’ve completed pump repairs and am closing up shop. Space debris has also appeared to be congesting the docking ring on Newton Node 2. It looks manageable. I believe I can clear the obstruction, but I’ll have to untether myself to reach it. SAFER jetpack still offline, so it’s a bit of a risk.

MARK (O.C.)
We copy, NEBA. Standby.

Frank waits for Space Centre.

MARK (O.C.)
We see the issue on our end. You have the go-ahead to repair Newton 2.

FRANK
...Space Centre, repeat-- I will need to untether to conduct inspection and repairs. Jetpack is non-operational. Repeat-- non-operational. Please advise.

MARK (O.C.)
Copy, NEBA. Node 2 needs to be working for safe docking procedure. Repair is deemed critical-- aka, top priority. Removing damage is a quick fix. Proceed with caution.

FRANK
Uh, Centre, do you know what you’re asking? Disconnecting is what I’d have to do to reach the section in question.

MARK (O.C.)
Mr. Marshall, it should take you 2, not even 3 minutes tops. This is well within your capabilities.

FRANK
Um, understood. Centre, I am untethering. Making my way over to Newton...

He unhooks himself and floats over, slightly, to the damaged area. He holds onto a rimmed edge.

FRANK (CONT'D)
...I’ve reached the Node and am now commencing repairs.

MARK (O.C.)
Roger, NEBA. We copy.

FRANK
Centre, I see the damage. It looks like a metallic shard has embedded itself into the hull. It must be from the satellite that was hit as well.

MARK (O.C.)
NEBA, we copy; possible satellite debris has impacted the outer section. Please continue.

Frank pulls on the debris but it appears to be stuck. He pulls again and succeeds in removing the piece. The momentum from the pull is weak, but it’s enough to move him away from the Node. 

Frank reaches back for the station but is unable to reach it. 

FRANK
Oh, shit.

He reaches out for his tether but can’t reach that either.

MARK (O.C.)
NEBA, please repeat.

FRANK
Centre, I can’t reach the Node. I’m drifting.

MARK (O.C.)
Frank, repeat that last statement?

FRANK
Space Centre, I’m drifting away... from the station. My arms... I can’t reach the Node...

He tries operating the joystick on his jetpack, but gets no luck. There’s a silence from Space Centre. It seems long and eerie, until finally...

MARK (O.C.)
Copy that NEBA. What’s the status on Newton? Can you reach the tether?

FRANK
Centre, the lines are re-attached. Repairs are completed. --No, I can’t reach it. I’m drifting away from it... the station. I’m drifting away.

There’s a pause as Frank starts to second guess Space Centre’s intentions.

MARK (O.C.)
Copy, NEBA. Standby.

FRANK
Standby!? I’m drifting! Please advise!?

MARK (O.C.)
Uh, copy, NEBA. Standby.

FRANK
Hello!? Space Centre! Please advise!?!?

MARK (O.C.)
Standby. 

[Dir. notes: S1]

This time, there’s a momentary silence from Frank as he comes to the realization that Space Centre is denying responsibility. Then...

FRANK
Standby!? Stop telling my to standby. You brass hats need this station back online at all costs. Is... oh my God; is that what it is!? I made your damn critical repairs and now I’m drifting! You copy? I can’t standby!! Stop telling me to standby! I’m about a metre away, maybe two, from the hull already. I can’t standby. Please advise!!

MARK (O.C.)
NEBA Station-- can you bring your jetpack online?

FRANK
No. I told you my pack is offline. I told you!

There’s another silence on Space Centre’s end. 

FRANK (CONT'D)
Space Centre, are you there?

But the silence persists.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Dammit.

Frank looks around hesitantly. He operates the joystick, but nothing still. He tries reaching out again, but he is further away now. 

[Dir. notes: S2]

FRANK (CONT'D)
(uneasy)
This is Frank to Space Centre. How am I going to get back now? I mean... I mean what’s the game plan here? What’s the game plan!?

But Centre returns more silence.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Centre, this is Frank Marshall. Do you copy?

Frank hears beeping and looks down to the display module on his chest.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Oooh shit. Um, Centre, my first oxygen tank has depleted and I’m low on the second. Do you read me? I, um, I’m drifting further away now! I can’t tell how far-- couple of metres.

He turns his head to the side and then back.

FRANK (CONT'D)
(nervous)
Come on Space Centre! Don’t leave me. Don’t leave me. You can’t just leave me here??

But all he receives is an empty comm channel. Frank begins to break down. 

FRANK (CONT'D)
Really!? You really are going to leave me here. Respond, Space Centre. Respond, dammit. Why won’t you respond? Space Centre, do you read me? Do you read me!?!?

The silence goes on long as he struggles with his emotions. After a long time...

FRANK (CONT'D)
Oh my God. My kids, my wife-- oh my God. I’m not going to... I’m not going to see... them... again.

He hesitates.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Oh my God.

He stops again and turns back to his previous gaze.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Space Centre, let me talk to my family. Let me talk to them, please. I know you can hear me. Come in Space Centre!

Frank waits on another silence. He begins to tear up.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Please... Please... please don’t leave me. Please, Space Centre-- please come in. Please, please, please.

He lets out a final painful cry, and then he stops. After a silence he starts to get angry.

[Dir. notes: S3]

FRANK (CONT'D)
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Why won’t you come in?! Why won’t you listen? I know you’re receiving this. I can see you’re receiving this... Why won’t you answer me?! Are you seriously fucking kidding me. All you give a shit about is the fucking space station! You fucking told me to untether. I told you my jetpack was fried. You said I’d be fine!! Why aren’t you talking to me!?  Why the fuck won’t you fucking answer me!!?!?

He chokes.

His suit ALARM suddenly goes off, as he chokes from a moment of not taking in sufficient air. The alarm ends shortly, having indicated oxygen levels lowering. 

[Dir. notes: S4]

He pauses to recompose himself. It’s evident, at this point, that Space Centre has left him alone. Frank holds up his wrist mirror and attempts to toggle controls on his chest-strapped Control Module.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Centre, this is Frank Marshall. I’m outside of NEBA, drifting away from the station. I... indicators read approximately twelve minutes of oxygen left on my second tank... That’s it for me. Look, I don’t have much time before this is over. Please, please, can I please request a comm link to my wife-- my children--- Please. I just want to say goodbye.

He hesitates.

FRANK (CONT'D)
I just... I just want to say goodbye.

Frank pours the lasts of his hopes out into that request. He’s got nothing left-- no other way to conduct change out of his situation as he continues to drift further away from NEBA STATION. His energy diminishes and he waits. Suddenly...

EDDIE (36) - Another engineer at Space Centre.

EDDIE (O.C.)
Frank Marshall. Frank, this is Eddie.

FRANK
Eddie? Ed! What’s going on down there? I--

EDDIE (O.C.)
Frank, I’m sorry. I just got in. Things are pretty scrambled down here, trying to figure out what to do next. 

FRANK
--So you left me hanging? This whole time? How much have you heard? Were you listening to me this whole time?! 

EDDIE (O.C.)
This is a very delicate situation, Frank. If you could just hold on a bit longer while we continue working out how we’re going to handle this--

FRANK
What do you mean “handle this”? Handle what!? Handle what Eddie?! Me dying!? I’m still fucking alive Eddie! 

EDDIE (O.C.)
I know you’re upset, Frank, but this is tough on our end too. This wasn’t supposed to happen.

FRANK
Are you fucking kidding me?! You writing me off already!? Are serious!? I’m not dead yet Eddie!!

Eddie restrains himself from the other end. There’s a pause.

EDDIE (O.C.)
I know, Frank. I know. That’s why I’m talking to you now Frank! You’re not alone on this. We have the whole team working ‘round the clock-- we’re completely committed, and we’re going to make things better-- It’s just that... well, we have to be careful.

FRANK
Eddie, I’m not on vacation up here. What the fuck do you think is going to fucking happen??

EDDIE (O.C.)
Just what’s supposed to happen, Frank. There are a million steps we need to take-- in the right order, if we can just do this properly.

FRANK
You’re going on about a million steps when I only have, like, FUCK-- 10 minutes left!

EDDIE (O.C.)
Please, Frank. You know I’m on your side. We took flight training together! But I’m asking you, as a colleague, to just think about the organization, for just a second. We can’t just say anything.

FRANK
Let me talk to my wife Eddie. Patch me through. Let me talk to my fucking wife!

He waits for Eddie’s response.

FRANK
Please let me talk to my wife. Let me talk to her. Let me talk to her!!!

But nothing.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Eddie?

Still nothing.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Eddie!?

Nothing.

[Dir. notes: S5]

FRANK (CONT'D)
Aw, c’mon, no, no, no, no, nooooo.... Eddie. Please no... Don’t leave me, please. Don’t leave me, Eddie, please...

Frank begins to sob. He is now a considerable distance away from the station. 

EDDIE (O.C.)
Frank. You there?

Frank doesn’t know if he has the energy to start talking again. He doesn’t even know if he wants to. 

FRANK
(reluctantly)
I’m here.

EDDIE (O.C.)
Frank, okay, I will contact your wife, but... Well, there’s a lot of concern about how this’ll all go down. In the news, you understand?

Frank doesn’t respond.

EDDIE (O.C.)
You-- we... We can’t have you talking about what’s going on right now. Okay? About this situation-- She can’t know. I mean, for this to happen, Frank, you... um, you gotta be... we gotta do this right.

FRANK
I get it.

EDDIE (O.C.)
Frank, look, this whole thing... it’s awful. Horrible. None of us wanted this... to happen this way. Nobody knows what to do.

FRANK
Can... Can you call my wife Eddie? Please?

EDDIE (O.C.)
We are calling her now... I’m really sorry... for all this, Frank.

Frank is silent. 

FRANK
(emotional)
I, um... I think we’re starting to break up.

EDDIE (O.C.)
We got her. Thank God. We can patch your wife through now. Frank, will you say anything about this? Can you leave it for us to handle!?

[Dir. notes: S6] 

FRANK
(brushing off)
Just fucking patch her through, Eddie. Please just patch her through.

Another pause as Space Centre hesitates.

EDDIE (O.C.)
Um... Okay, fine, Frank. Here she is. Standby.

Then...

JESSICA (33) - Frank's wife. Lovely, happy, misses Frank deeply.

JESSICA (O.C.)
(excited)
Frank!?

Frank looks up. He can’t believe he’s actually hearing his wife.

FRANK
Jessica?

JESSICA (O.C.)
Frank! This is so great! They didn’t even warn me about your call. I wasn’t even sure you’d have time?
(sly, to: someone nearby)
Oh, it’s just my husband-- calling me from outer space.
(back to: Frank)
I wish the kids were here. Andy’s at school and Sara’s still at the sitter’s. 

There’s momentary static in the background.

JESSICA (O.C.)
Ouch. Not exactly strings and paper cups, huh?

FRANK
Heh. Yeah--

JESSICA
--I mean, how is it up there? How’s the view? I’ll bet the Earth looks gorgeous. Can you see me waving?

FRANK
Heh. Come on, Jessica.

Jessica doesn’t hear much from Frank, so she continues.

JESSICA (O.C.)
I know. I know. You space-types are always so serious. By the way, I heard, over the news, about the debris; but we hear the damage isn’t major-- so I guess that’s good, right? I mean... is everything okay up there? I’m starting to feel like I’m talking to dead air here!

The static rips in and out, on occasion

FRANK
(emotional)
Um, it’s good to hear your voice, honey. It really is.

JESSICA (O.C.)
So is the view beautiful, or like, are you all used to it by now? It better not be the latter, because we want to hear all about it when you get back. We miss you, Frank. The kids too. 

FRANK
(emotional)
I, um, I miss you too, honey. I miss you all so much.

JESSICA (O.C.)
Heh. Andy is so proud of you Frank. I mean, he wants to be an astronaut too-- like, follow in your footsteps sort of thing. He’s been talking about you a lot since you left.

Frank tries to hold in his cry. Jessica thinks she hears something.

JESSICA (O.C.)
Frank? Are you okay? I think I’m losing you?

Static again.

FRANK
I’m, uh-- I’m... Hey, remember last winter when we got into that highway accident?

JESSICA (O.C.)
Um... Yeah...
(awkward)
That was the scariest day of our lives. We almost lost you, especially. Plus, the way we were cut off like that, and-- I don’t understand? Why would you bring that up? Frank, what’s going on. Are you-- Is everything okay?

FRANK
It’s just, uh-- Well, look: If something like that were to happen agai---

Suddenly there’s another bolt of static in their communication.

CLICK.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Hello? ...Jessica?

But there’s no reply.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Oh God no... Hello? Hello, Jessica!?

He waits a second time and gets nothing.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Space Centre, do you read? Jessica? Hello? I... I lost Jessica. Can you re-establish a link!? Please, I didn’t get to say goodbye!?

But Space Centre doesn’t reply either.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Centre, do you copy? Do you read me!?

Nothing.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Oh God... Centre!?! Hello?!?!

Nothing for a long time.

FRANK (CONT'D)
ANYBODY?!?!?

He gasps for breath as another alarm goes off, indicating oxygen has reached critical levels.

FRANK (CONT'D)
(scared)
I didn’t get to say...

He tears up again, but is forced to put that aside when his breathing becomes difficult. 

[Dir. notes: S7]

Pause.

He accepts the situation, quickly. There are only moments left. The static radio continues in the background. Frank stares at the Earth.

FRANK
(in shock)
Jessica. I love you. I love Andy and Sara. I mean, I love you all so much.
(teary)
Heh... I remember Sara’s birth. I missed Andy’s, but I was there for hers. Dammit! I remember when we first met; at the cafe, and you were wearing that black dress. I remember I fell for you right from the start.
(trying to breathe)
Somewhere along the way, I just got too busy; too excited about the space program, and... opportunities. Those God-damn opportunities. But I never fit you in; or the kids-- Everything that happened-- it was all for this, wasn’t it?
(difficult breathing)
I wish you could see the Earth from way up here... I can see you and children waving, honey. Oh, I wish you could see it from my perspective. It’s so, so beautiful. You’re all so... beautiful.
(losing focus)
So... beautiful... 

Another alarm and Frank’s oxygen levels are completely depleted. His breathing is now slightly erratic. He knows this. He turns off the alarm. He turns off the static radio.

He looks upon the Earth and its horizon with his last breaths. It’s so peaceful and so beautiful, the same beauty he just shared with his wife and kids. 

His breathing stops. Frank floats away.

THE END